Donkey Outreach Mobile Clinic Progress Report in Simanjiro
GEOGRAPHICAL REGIONS COVERED
- Manyara Region
- To improve the health of donkeys in Manyara through access to veterinary services.
- To improve the performance and health of donkeys by building capacity of donkey owners and community members on donkey welfare and health issues.
- Dr. Dauson Katurisa (MAWO)
- Dr Sebath Bwanga (Government)
VOLUNTEER VETS FROM ABROAD:
- Dr. Lisa and Dr. Jonah (Vets Without Borders-‐Sweden)
- Dr. Katy & Dr. Chloe (Vets from Australia)
MOBILE CLINIC ASISTANCE:
- Elizabeth Msuya (Animal health Collage volunteer)
- Shabani Kombo (Gov-‐ para vet)
Due to poor health and welfare of donkeys we address to reach the specified objectives and to have community animal health workers who understand the donkey healthy and welfare in general.
KEY NOTABLES (OUT-‐PUTS AND OUT-‐COMES):
The organizations as part of its work carry out mobile clinic and ensure outreach of animal health to a certain level as well as develop and deliver practical advice on the prevention and control of noticeable and endemic diseases for donkeys to the owners as a way to increase their competency in managing animal welfare challenges and assisting in improving the welfare of animals in Tanzania.
|VILLAGE NAME||NO. OF DONKEYS||DEWORMING||EYE CARE||HOOF TRIMMING||WOUND TREATMENT|
NEXT MOBILE CLINIC LOCATION:
On February MAWO rescued a donkey named Sigiria that was left on the street injured very badly to the back legs unable to walk. The donkey provided treatment and few days later started to walk again.
DONKEY OWNER CASE STUDY:
"My name is Mama Luckumay born in maasai village Naberera aged 41, I have three girls and four boys and am married to a man with 3 three wives. Most of our life’s activities depends on pastoralism and crops cultivation to get our necessities for the entire family throughout the year. We always use donkeys for domestic activities support include taking charcoal to market or crops, water fetching and during harvest. Donkey plays virtual important rules to support our community though in many eyes of the users haven’t seen the impotence of taking care for donkeys.
Thanks to this animal welfare organization MAWO who bring the knowledge and clinics to treat our Donkeys because since I have started using donkeys they're the first people who came to remind us about the importance and role of these animals, thanks so much for free treatment of my donkeys and knowledge that I get from them on harness I will share with my husband's other wives. Since my donkeys have been treated they're now looking healthier, their skin problems and injuries are now healing."
- Networking is bearing results with many organizations coming together advocate for better animals care and intend to foster this more.
- Mobile outreach clinic to improve welfare of animals is proving bring sustainable better welfare for animals in country and will also result to improved community animal health workers